Alleged tax-haven scheme linked to Canada’s largest brokerage firm

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In a continuing crackdown on tax evasion, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has alleged that brokers with a branch of RBC Dominion Securities, Canada’s largest brokerage company, helped clients set up accounts in the small European principality of Liechtenstein in order to avoid taxation on their wealth.

In affadavits submitted by the CRA, brokers with an RBC Dominion Securities office in Victoria, British Columbia, allegedly helped clients set up 16 offshore entities with a division of the LGT Group in Liechtenstein. While that is not a crime under Canadian law, auditors allege that the entities were used to help Canadians hide worldwide income. Thirteen individuals are either being audited or have made voluntary disclosures, admitting to tax evasion. The agency is presently investigating to see if there are any other individuals participating in this scheme. Regarding the inquiry, dubbed “Project Jade”, the CRA will only say that it was launched on information from a “confidential informant”.

RBC issued a written statement, saying “As a firm, we have never encouraged Canadians — not 25 years ago and not today — to set up entities in Liechtenstein, and we have never instructed our investment advisers to recommend that practice,” and “we comply with all CRA requirements. This means that we provide all our clients with the forms they need to meet their personal tax obligations, and also file reports with CRA that form the basis for reviews such as this.”

Three RBC employees are presently being investigated, with one remaining unidentified.

Steelmaker Corus to cut 2000 jobs in the UK and Netherlands

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Corus, the fifth largest steelmaker in the world, is set to cut 2000 jobs in both the United Kingdom and The Netherlands. 123 jobs are reported to be going in the Netherlands with the remainder from the United Kingdom. Corus have blamed the move on the “further deterioration” of the demand for steel in both the United States and Europe.

Corus Chief Executive Kirby Adams stated, “Any recovery in Europe appears to be some time off”. He added that Corus have to achieve “long-term sustainable competitiveness in a global and over-supplied steel market”. In January of this year Corus cut approximately 3,500 staff worldwide; 2,500 of them in Britain.

Peter Hogg, a commercial director at Corus, reported that the company was surprised at the extent of the global recession. He added that it is clear a full recovery is years away.

Some plants have been hit harder than others. Scunthorpe will lose 500 members of staff, with 379 going at Stocksbridge and 377 at Rotherham. Corus will also reduce operations at Hartlepool, Skinningrove and their Teesside Beam Mill, in Cleveland, where an additional 2,000 already face redundancy. A total of 11 plants in the United Kingdom are affected.

Elliot Morley, Labour Member of Parliament for Scunthorpe, told the BBC that he was disappointed with the job cuts and said he had previously told Corus that they should be a last resort. He added that this was a “sad day” for Scunthorpe.

The Community union general secretary Michael Leahy said that it was “devastating news” and spoke of his concerns for the integrity of the British steel industry.

Corus has the second largest steelmaking operation in Europe. The company was bought in 1999 by Tata Steel, part of India’s Tata Group. The company has around 50,000 employees worldwide.

State Farm Insurance allegedly destroying papers

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Zach Scruggs, a lawyer for United States Senator Trent Lott, says that State Farm Insurance Company is destroying records related to claims for damage from Hurricane Katrina.

The records allegedly contain information saying that State Farm fraudulently denied insurance claims made by its policy holders, including Lott, that had homes there were damaged or destroyed when Hurricane Katrina came ashore on the Gulf Coast.

Scruggs said that Lott has “good faith belief” that many employees of the insurance company in Biloxi, Mississippi are destroying engineer’s reports that were inconclusive as to whether or not water or wind was the main cause of damage to the buildings affected by the hurricane.

Lott is among thousands of home and/or business owners who had their property damaged or destroyed during the hurricane and had their claims denied because State Farm claimed that their policies don’t cover damage caused by floods or water that was driven by the wind.

State Farm has not issued a statement on the matter so far.

Wikinews interviews 0 A.D. game development team

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

0 A.D. is a historical, open source, strategy game, published by Wildfire Games. It focuses on the period between 500BC and 500AD. The game will be released in two parts: the first covering the pre-AD period, and the second running to 500AD. With development well underway, Wikinews interviewed the development team.

Aviv Sharon, a 24-year-old Israeli student responsible for the project’s PR, compiled the below Q&A, which the full team approved prior to publication.

Former Iranian president Rafsanjani states Iran is enriching uranium

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad confirmed on Tuesday that the country has successfully enriched uranium from 164 of their centrifuges.

“I am officially announcing that Iran has joined the group of those countries which have nuclear technology. This is the result of the Iranian nation’s resistance. Based on international regulations, we will continue our path until we achieve production of industrial-scale enrichment,” Ahmadinejad said.

“Iran has put into operation the first unit of 164 centrifuges, has injected (the uranium) gas and has reached industrial production. We operated the first unit which comprises of 164 centrifuges, gas was injected, and we got the industrial output. We should expand the work of these machines to achieve a full industrial line. We need dozens of these units (sets totaling 164 centrifuges) to achieve a uranium enrichment facility,” said Iran’s former President, Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, earlier today.

Ahmadinejad had said on Monday that he would release “good nuclear news which will be a source of pride for the whole Iranian nation” today and that reports from the media are part of the United States campaign involving “psychological warfare.”

“Nothing can stop our civil nuclear program as the Iranians are a courageous nation and not afraid of intimidations. We are not after atomic bombs,” added Ahmadinejad.

According to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Iran began to test 20 centrifuges in March. Iran’s current enrichment is only to reactor-grade — around 3.5% of the isotope uranium-235. Uranium-235 has a natural abundance of 0.72% and is one isotope of uranium which is easily fissionable. In order to create a nuclear bomb, a few hundred metric tons of natural uranium must be used enriched above 90% of uranium-235. Experts have said that if Iran is going to attempt to make enough uranium-235 for a nuclear bomb, they would need to install a few thousand centrifuges in series or process the gas through the same set of centrifuges over 50 times.

On Wednesday, Mohamed ElBaradei, the President of the IAEA, will visit Iran to review the progression, if any, to Iran’s nuclear program and will release a report at the end of April.

The United States said that Iran is “moving in the wrong direction” in regards to its nuclear program and that if it continues its program, it will discuss the possibility of taking steps with the United Nations.

Washington DC is said to “be talking about the way forward with the other members of the Security Council and Germany about how to address this [Iran’s nuclear program],” according to White House spokesman Scott McClellan.

Diet To Go Meal Plans Review Are These Packaged Diet Meals Worth The Cost?

Filed in Lunch Leave a comment

Find Out More About:

Diet to Go Meal Plans Review – Are These Packaged Diet Meals Worth the Cost?

by

Eddie

Ever feel completely lost when you enter a grocery store? Despite entering through those glass doors armed with a list of foods you need, the shuffling in and out of the aisles and testing the firmness of fruits and vegetables can be downright bewildering – especially if you are trying to go on a diet. Low fat or no fat? How many carbohydrates are in a sweet potato? Is it okay if I eat whole wheat pasta instead of white pasta on this diet plan?

YouTube Preview Image

There’s no denying that starting a serious diet definitely does take a lot of research and knowledge. Sadly, for a lot of us, we simply don’t have the time to sit down with a 500 page book and learn about what foods will help us burn what and from where. For people like myself who are busy and constantly ‘on the go’, choosing to invest in a “Diet-To-Go” diet may be the answer to your weight-loss prayers. What Is Diet-To-Go? It’s exactly what it sounds like – it’s like a diet ‘take out’. Fresh foods are prepared off-site (away from your home) and delivered to your door with the promise of being made with the highest quality healthy ingredients. The “Diet-To-Go” diet includes many other extra items, such as condiments, juices and fruit. Are there Different Menus I can Choose From? Yes. There are a few different menus, like the “Low Fat Diet Meal plan”, the “Low Fat Vegetarian Meals” and the “Low Carb Diet Meal Plan”. There’s even a meal plan that’s been created for diabetics. How Much can I Expect to Spend on this Meal Plan? The “Diet-To-Go” meal plans start from just over $80USD a week up to $150USD a week, though some meal plans are for 5 days rather than 7 days and some include breakfast whereas others do not. Be sure to read the fine print so you know that you are ordering just what you want. Who Benefits from this Meal Plan? The one thing that may be a bit lacking when it comes to “Diet-To-Go” is that the diet itself does not teach you how to take foods home from the market and prepare them in a nutritional way (i.e. to use olive oil rather than butter for cooking, for instance). Portion control can also be lost on anyone who is not paying attention to the portions that are provided directly through the meal plan. Some additional research on weight loss should be done by anyone planning to lose weight on this plan. Exercise, which is another important component in both weight loss and the living of a healthier lifestyle is not mentioned in great depth in this meal plan. At minimum, if you do choose a “Diet-To-Go” meal plan, plan for a brisk 30 minute walk each and every day to enjoy optimal weight loss.

Diet-to-Go provides a nourishing, delicious, diet delivery service for individuals to help them lose weight and feel great! Only the highest quality ingredients are used in our freshly prepared diet meals that adhere to the dietary guidelines of all major health organizations.

FREE Meals for a Day with Diet-to-Go! Use coupon code CJFM19 at checkout.

Article Source:

ArticleRich.com

Metal singer Ronnie James Dio dies aged 67

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Sunday, May 16, 2010

American metal singer Ronnie James Dio died today at the age of 67, as announced by his wife, Wendy. Dio passed at 07:45 (CST) (13:45 UTC) at the Mayo Clinic, an American disease treatment center, after a two-year fight with stomach cancer that caused him to stop singing while he received treatment. “Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all…Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever,” added his wife in a statement on Dio’s website.

Dio (born Ronnie James Padavona) was born in July 10, 1942 in the American city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He was most noted for his high pitched vocals and lyrical tales involving battles and themes of good versus evil.

He performed with several hard rock and metal groups, but he was most notable for his first act, when he joined as singer of the British metal group Black Sabbath after lead singer and frontman Ozzy Osbourne left the band in 1979. Before Black Sabbath he performed with several less successful bands, including Rainbow, led by former Deep Purple‘s Ritchie Blackmore, and Elf.

He also had a very successful solo career under the simple name “Dio”, and had recently reunited with former Black Sabbath band mates under the moniker Heaven and Hell. Some of Dio’s hit songs were Holy Diver, Neon Knights, and The Last In Line.

Spanish midfielder Iniesta retires from international football

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Monday, July 2, 2018

Yesterday, Spanish footballer Andrés Iniesta announced retirement from international football. The midfielder made the announcement after Spain lost to Russia in the Last 16 match of the FIFA World Cup. Speaking to the reporters, Iniesta said, “It’s true that it is my last match with the National Team, on a personal level it’s the end of a magnificent phase. Overall, I think it’s the saddest day of my career.” ((es))spanish language: ?Es una realidad que es mi última partido con la Selección, a nivel individual se acaba una etapa maravillosa. En conjunto seguramente sea el día más triste de mi carrera

Since 34-year-old Iniesta made his international debut, he has featured in 131 games, scoring thirteen goals. Iniesta also scored the winning goal against the Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup final. With the international team, Iniesta has won two UEFA Euro trophies in 2008 and 2012 as well as the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

After the match, Iniesta said, “It’s true that this was my last match with the national team. On an individual level, it brings an end to a marvellous chapter of my life. It’s a difficult moment, one we’ve experienced before, but we weren’t capable of that little bit extra. My personal cycle ends here after a long time [playing for Spain], but everything has its beginning and end. It isn’t the farewell I dreamed about, but football and life can be like that.”

Iniesta’s last match for Spain went on to a penalty shootout against Russia after a 1–1 draw at the end of extra time. Iniesta was the first to take the penalty kick and scored the spot kick.

University of Calgary scientist Keith cracks carbon capture conundrum

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Thursday, October 2, 2008

A University of Calgary research team developed a new method for extracting carbon dioxide (CO2) directly from the air — a fundamental shift in carbon capture technology enabling capture of the most common greenhouse gas from so-called diffuse sources like aircraft, trucks and automobiles that represent half of the greenhouse gases emitted globally.

Professor David Keith, Director of University of Calgary’s (UofC) Institute for Sustainable Energy, Environment and Economy (ISEEE) and a team of researchers from UofC’s Energy and Environmental Systems Group built and operated a prototype system this summer producing results that compared favourably with commercial carbon capture systems. Two ‘provisional’ patents have been filed on the technology but Keith warns there are still “many pitfalls along the path to commercialization.”

Using a process adapted from the pulp-and-paper industry that halves the cost of CO2 air capture in their custom-built tower, Professor Keith and his team captured the equivalent of about 20 tonnes per year of CO2 (approximately equal to the yearly output of one person in North America) directly from the air with less than 100 kilowatt-hours of electricity per tonne of carbon dioxide on a single square metre of scrubbing material.

“This means that if you used electricity from a coal-fired power plant, for every unit of electricity you used to operate the capture machine, you’d be capturing 10 times as much CO2 as the power plant emitted making that much electricity,” explains Professor Keith.

A report co-authored by Keith in the American Chemical Society’s journal Environmental Science & Technology explains “nearly all current research on carbon capture and storage (CCS) focuses on capturing CO2 from large, stationary sources such as power plants. Such plans usually entail separating CO2 from flue gas, compressing it, and transporting it via pipeline to be [stored] underground.”

HAVE YOUR SAY
Should North American governments invest in bringing this technology to market?
Add or view comments

Using CO2 air capture technology, “a company could, in principle, contract with an oil sands plant near Fort McMurray to remove CO2 from the air and could build its air capture plant wherever it’s cheapest — China, for example — and the same amount of CO2 would be removed,” says Professor Keith in a UofC press release.

“While it’s important to get started doing things we know how to do, like wind power, nuclear power, and ‘regular’ carbon capture and storage,” Professor Keith continues, “it’s also vital to start thinking about radical new ideas and approaches to solving this problem.”

ISEEE’s Executive Director David Layzell points out that “energy-efficient and cost-effective air capture could play a valuable role in complementing other approaches for reducing emissions from the transportation sector, such as biofuels or electric vehicles.”

Documents reveal al-Qaeda wants war between U.S. and Iran, Iraq insurgency weakening

Filed in Uncategorized Leave a comment

Friday, June 16, 2006

Documents found at the hideout of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi revealed al-Qaeda‘s desire to force a war between the U.S. and Iran. The document was translated by Iraqi National Security Adviser Mouwafak al-Rubaie, but the authenticity of the information could not be confirmed to be from al-Qaeda.

The documents reveal that al-Zarqawi was planning to destroy the relationship between the Shi’ite Iraqis and the United States. The document also said the U.S. military was hurting the insurgency by seizure of weapons, disrupting their financial outlets, massive arrests, and training Iraqi security forces.

The translated document said, “Generally speaking and despite the gloomy present situation, we find that the best solution in order to get out of this crisis is to involve the U.S. forces in waging a war against another country or any hostile groups.”

Mowaffaq al-Rubaie said, “These documents have given us the edge over al-Qaeda and (they) also gave us the whereabouts of their network, of their leaders, of their weapons and the way they lead the organization and the whereabouts of their meetings.”

TOP